On Thursday, October 20th we hosted a great group a folks to share our process for the classic RARE cocktails – including our house-made Limoncello and the Italian classic cocktail, the Negroni. Click here to download the PDF version of our recipe list we had available for guests.
Limoncello is an Italian lemon liqueur popular in Southern Italy – the second most popular liqueur in Italy – and has been around for at least 100 years.
The Negroni is a classic Italian cocktail, with its first appearance is 1919 in Florence, Italy. It is considered an apéritif – an alcoholic beverage usually served before a meal to stimulate the appetite, and usually dry rather than sweet.
Peel of 20 Lemons, no pith
Supremes (or the fruit of) 10 lemons
1 Cup of Sugar
1 Cup of Sugar to make
1.75 Liters of 100-proof vodka, or another high-proof grain alcohol
- Wash 20 lemons and remove the peel. Try to remove as much of the pith (the white part of the rind) from the peels. The peels are used in the mix.
- From those 20 lemons, supreme 10 into lemon wedges with no pith or membrane, as shown in the demonstration.
- Make 1 cup of caramel using 1 cup of sugar directly into a hot sauté pan.
- Combine lemon peels, supremes, 1 cup of sugar, 1 cup homemade caramel, and alcohol together in a large jar or vessel.
- Let sit for at least 30 days and enjoy!
How to Supreme Lemons
1 oz. Gin – your favorite variety will work swell!
1 oz. Sweet Vermouth – RARE Italian uses Contratto Rosso Vermouth, but Carpano Antica or Dolin Rouge are other of manny possible brands
1 oz. Bitter – RARE Italian uses Contratto Bitter or Aperitif, but Campari or Aperol are the classic brands
Mix all ingredients together and stir with ice. Strain over fresh ice and garnish with Orange Zest.
RARE Italian Restaurant in Fort Collins features classic Italian cocktails, including Limoncello and the Negroni. RARE Italian Restaurant houses an extensive wine like of 60+ wines with a focus on Italian wine producers. With an in-house dry-aging room for local beef, RARE Italian Restaurant offers the best steaks and burger in northern Colorado. Handmade pasta and cheese daily, with house-grown herbs in our restaurant windows, RARE Italian Restaurant is committed to fresh, local and seasonal ingredients in every dish we make.